Tuesday, April 8, 2014

What is normal?

What is normal? What is the test drive for normality? When have we done all we can to be all we can for Jesus?

All these things flash through my mind about 20 seconds after the alarm blares this morning at 5:45 a.m. I'm moved to question myself after figuring out that it is indeed the alarm and the house is not ablaze, and I'm suddenly sure I indeed set the dang thing.

What is normal? I'm pretty sure it ain't getting up this early to drive an hour and a half into the night (morning) to meet and greet a kid who is finally going to be blessed with a trial next week after waiting a year and a half.

Is he guilty? Yeah, probably. But without going into specifics, I think the time he has served is enough. Is he a threat to our society? Nah. I doubt it severely.

But most of all, he has grown so much by this trial (figurative and literal) that to keep him isolated for more time would be cruel, I think.

Has he become a Christian during our numerous visits? That's for God and him to decide. What I will say is he has become receptive to our talking, our praying, our scripture reading. So much so that he says he looks forward to it.

Here's the deal. Normal is a state of mind, body, emotions in which we are at peace with the world and ourselves. This person is normal, then. He has taken the test drive for normality, a daily challenge  for himself.

He is ready for the world outside, a world in which no one tries to kill themselves or threatens to do so.  He is ready to be what he can be for Jesus. I believe this to be true.

The Bible says Paul wrote "I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because or your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

I am sure, then by this test of normality, that this person has had a good work begun in them and that if allowed by this person, Jesus will bring it to completion.

That's my prayer. That's my test. That's when I'm sure I have done all I can do for Jesus.

Oh, what a glorious morning.

No comments: