Monday, July 20, 2015

Bracelets and deeds

On one of the visits to persons I'm getting acquainted with recently I met a caregiver as she was leaving. We made small talk, then she began to leave. As she headed out the door, she stopped and said, "I like your bracelet." It's not a bracelet really, but I guess that will do for a definition for now. It says, "I Am Second." She pointed down to her wrist where she had one just like it.

I said, "look at that." I told her I've worn this as long as I can remember and don't even remember where I got it. She said she's had hers for over 10 years.

And instantly we were joined at the spiritual hip, children of the same Father, brother and sister to the Christ, second to Him, always.

I've thought about that for three days. What connects us as Christians? What is it that we recognize that says, "I'm a Christian?"

Back in the day, we wore WWJD things. We wear crosses.

But even those who don't darken the doors of the church wear crosses.

So, what is it?

The answer so easily obtained is it is what we do, not what we wear that identifies us.

The Bible says it this way: "What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don't show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, 'Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well.' but then you don't give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?"

The Democratic party has tons of things wrong, but it gets this one right, I think. Can we see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing and do nothing?

Is that really WWJD?

This morning I feel connected to a young woman I do not know by a bracelet, but deeper than that is the connection that we might be, the two of us in accord, do something today that will make life easier for those who have little.

That's what Jesus would do, I think.

1 comment:

kevin said...

Hoooo boy, Billy. That's a big thing you said. It really IS what we do, which is pretty scary when you get it wrong as much as I do. Maybe it's just as much what we do NEXT, after we've failed, screwed up... sinned. And I'll add that many people are making a lot of noise in the guise of Christianity that can only work against the Kingdom. I can see someone believing that the acts of others are wrong. But haven't seen anything in the Bible that says we Christians are allowed, much less commanded, to treat people badly because we disagree with them. Of course, I speak in large part about the business people who loudly refuse to do business or provide government services for gay people. Gosh, if people stop doing business with everyone who sins -- or who they believe to have sinned -- the economy will come to a halt! Ad the Kingdom of Heaven won't be an inch closer.