Wednesday, July 8, 2015

He knows

Have you read, have you heard?

The Psalmist puts it this way: "O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I'm far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!"

We have become a land of opinion. We thrive on it, read about it, watch it. There is no news anymore, there is commentary.

If you think about it, and I suspect most do, it carries down to which TV news channel you watch. Fox has its opinions and its slants. MSNBC its. CNN its. Newspapers theirs. And you yours.

At some level, that's fine. But at the deepest of levels, it's meaningless. Whatever you and I think of God Almighty ultimately matters little. For He is who He is, and He knows us and sees us and we can't hide all that we are.

That's terrifying in some ways and comforting in others.

But what it ultimately means is that no opinion, no idea, no plan is ours. It is His, and His alone.

It always has been.

It is when our humanity interferes with His divinity, or our seeing and feeling and hearing and absorbing of his divine call, that we falter and fall. Look around you this day. See if you can fix the hardest of problems. Then if you are a believer try to solve the hardest of questions in your life.

See if you can hide your sin.
See if you can diminish His power.
See if ...

He knows everything about us.
Everything.

I remember when I was about six, for some reason I suddenly thought it was a good idea to play with matches. I went outside in the backyard of our house in Meridian, Miss., and lit one and threw it, cackling all the while, until a bit of leaves flared and singed my eye lashes and brows. My mother noticed it while we were eating dinner and said, "Billy, you've been playing with fire, haven't you."

I was stunned, and repentant immediately. My mother always, always knew what I was doing.

Now, think about God and what HE knows.

In the Attributes of God, author Arthur Pink wrote, "God knows everything. Everything possible, everything actual; all events and all creatures of the past, present and the future. Nothing escapes his notice, nothing can be hid.

In Ezekiel 11:5, God says, "For I know the things that come into your mind, every one of them."

He knows when I mess up, when I fall, when I sin and when I bounce and come back up. He forgives and He forgets.

But He knew.

Think long about that today. Of course, that's just my opinion.


No comments: