Thursday, November 12, 2015

Prayers without ceasing

"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives..."

The Apostle Paul writes this to the Colossian church, but I suspect these words could and should be used for churches around the world in the 21st century.

We pray for you.
Since the day we heard your ailment, your situation, your circumstances, we pray for you. We have not stopped. We will not stop. We will not be stopped.

Isn't that the lifeline, the life of the church? We will not stop. We will continue to pray.

The balance of continuing prayer and faithful prayer is an interesting one, I think.

Jesus tells this story: "in a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared for men. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming.'

"And the Lord said, 'Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth.' "

Paul said it another way in his letter to The Thessalonians, "Pray without ceasing."

Let's get that, please.
Pray
Without
Ceasing.

I will continue to pray for you till you tell me not to, is Paul's less than subtle notion. I suspect, however, that he would continue praying...
for the church in Thessalonica, in Phillipi, in Asia Minor, in Europe.

Prayers for churches begun, and those in trouble. Prayers for the people in those churches. Prayer for the mighty power of the Holy Spirit to fill them with ideas, and with action.

Seems a lot like those prayers we say for our churches today, where the trouble brews and churches are losing folks daily.

I'll keep on praying, keep on keeping on, till He comes again. Seems like a plan.

No comments: