Thursday, November 5, 2015

To my younger self

I saw a commercial the other day that introduced a woman speaking to her younger self. That prompted thoughts, as you know most things do with me.

If I could tell my younger self anything, it would be to listen more and talk less.

I would say don't take that first drink because like Lay's, you won't take just one. Ever.

I would say look for a woman named Mary from Natchez when you are in your early 20s.

I would say don't stop college because you're in a hurry.

Don't be in a hurry.

Complete what you start because you're the most impatient person you will ever meet.

I would say think things through, don't get that first credit card, be much more aware of what your talents are, for you really do have them.

Those are a few of the things I would say.

I would also tell myself that life is good. Not always, but mostly. And when it is not so good, be assured it will get better.

I would mention it's a good thing that you don't know everything that's going to happen to you.

I would say that your tendency to be shy won't always hold you back. I would tell myself to yake it a step at a time, but work at it. I would say that it is a gift to get to know new people, especially those who are different from you in some way. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone will be painful for a time, but the benefits are everlasting.
I would say keep exercising, eating well, and healthy living in balance. Schedule rest and recreation regularly. The older you get, the more you'll understand why.
I would remind myself to accept yourself as God made you. I would tell the young me that it is okay to be true to yourself. Because God does not make mistakes. 
I would remind myself that you are on a journey, which means things will change. Even important things will change, sometimes shockingly. But it is a nevertheless a good journey, and it's worth every step.
Then, as I began to think more deeply about all that, I remembered a song my son, Jason, wrote called, "No Regrets."
The song speaks to the fact that everything that has happened is for a reason, and that to take away any of the steps along the way would change where we are today.
I believe that to be true. All the missteps have taken me right here. All the mistakes have given me this long life. All the errors have produced love that surpasses all understanding.
So, I would tell my younger self to live. To really live. To simply experience all things along the way. Do better with the finances and the health if you can, but live.
Till you're old enough to think about all that has happened.

No comments: