Friday, January 8, 2016

Will you answer?

Ever taken a look at how you're actually living? I suspect sometimes it's because e're spending too much time looking at how the other folks are living.

The Bible is fairly clear about this: Seek good and not evil— and live! You talk about God, the God-of-the-Angel-Armies, being your best friend. Well, live like it, and maybe it will happen. Hate evil and love good, then work it out in the public square. Maybe God, the God-of-the-Angel-Armies, will notice your remnant and be gracious."

I have a friend, someone from my former life as a journalist, whose entire family up and dropped everything and went to Keyna, I believe was the African nation they became missionaries to. I believe they went more than once.

I have an aunt who up and dropped everything years ago and went to the Cayman Islands to preach and teach.

My favorite singer/songwriter, the late Rich Mullins, up and dropped everything and went to live and minister to an Indian reservation.

Me? Well, I dropped most of a life and went wherever they told me to go, but nothing like those folks.

I hope, in all my brokenness that God will notice my remnant and be gracious that I'm not doing all I can or all I could or all the I am for those who are the least and lost.

Here's a story from years ago that shows just what anyone can do: A man named Paul Partridge lived in suburban Chicago. InHe lost both legs after he stepped on a land mine in 1966 in Vietnam. One day he heard a woman screaming, "My baby! My baby!" across the street from his house. He and his wife left their house , he in a wheelchair, his wife running. 

After sixty bumpy yards, the wheelchair stopped. He then dragged himself out of that wheelchair and pulled himself 60 feet up to the deck around the back of that house where he knew a swimming pool was. There was a little girl lying there. Her mother had pulled her out of the pool where she had found her apparently dead. Partridge gave the child CPR and talked aloud to her. "Little girl, you're going to live. I know you're going to make it. Suddenly the child started breathing, and he screamed for medics to be called.

The question is, when you hear God calling for us to leave our houses and go do whatever it is He is calling for us to do will we do just that, no matter how hard it is to accomplish it, or will we just sit and do nothing?

I hope, I pray that in all my brokenness I will move with the God of Angel Armies at my side.

No comments: