Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wrestling with God

Oh, how we imagine.

Remember the tale of Jacob, who scrambled away from his brother after taking Esau's birthright by subterfuge.

After living away from Esau for years, Jacob wanted to return home. Along the way, he built his brother into Hannibal Lecter in his mind. On and on he went, sure that when the two were in the same circle again, Esau would do a goodly amount of damage to him.

The Bible says he was "In great fear and distress." He was making Esau out to be the one who would end what he had come to love of his life.

Finally, he prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. 11 Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.' "

His imagination continued to play tricks on him, falling as hard as the night on Jacob.

Finally, you'll remember, that night Jacob wrestled with God and on that special night became Israel.

All that I say to tell you this: The use of our imaginations to build mole hills of imagination into mountains of fear is very similar to our wrestling with God. I'll speak for myself here: I'm in the midst of a life-changing moment, and fear has attempted to wrestle me to the ground. Only my faithful friends and my faithful spouse and my God himself keep me afloat at times.

But God doesn't run away when our faith ebbs like an evening tide. No. He's there to bless us when we come through the trial, even if we're battered and worn.

That's the God we love.

Oh, by the way, my hip is hurting. Wonder what that means?

No comments: