Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The moments of God

When's the last time you had a God moment?

They exist; I promise. Oh, I wished they would come so often, but to my experience they do not. Maybe it's me. I digress.

Yesterday, my 57th (ughhh) birthday, I fought a bit of depression. I feel time sliding away like sand through my toes.

Then, God struck.

First, I was reading a book while children danced and screamed in the joy only they know as vacation Bible school took place outside my office. I had a stressful day fighting insurance and fighting my own fears and worries as time to rent our home slips away. As I worried, I read a line that told me that worries can't exist in the Kingdom of God. At that time, I promise, at that time I got a call from an old friend in the journalism business, and he suggested I cover some games for him this fall.

Built up by that call, with a dripping of excitement even, I went into the sancutary and watched the kids sing a song called "Ancient Words." And there was God, in the tender, innocent faces of eight children making hand gestures and signs and simply singing about the Bible, those ancient words of comfort.

God walked among us yesterday. God lifted me.

Nothing's changed. The bills are the bills. The days are shorter by the minute.

But God walked among us yesterday, and He lifted me.

It was a God moment.

No comments: