Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Explaining peace

Do you ever have enough peace in your life? It's not as easy a question as one might think. If you answer no, then your faith isn't strong enough, people say. If you say yes, then you've stopped allowing God to fill you with peace because you've settled for the amount of peace you have.

Got that?

The reason the question is difficult is that the peace that God gives is so hard to explain or understand.

For me, peace is sitting outside on a mild evening (insert camp fire and woodsy setting if you so desire), reading. No bills. No aches. No pains. No worries especially, of any kind.

That's not necessarily what God mean, though.

Jesus told us this in the Gospel of John: "32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

And Paul told us this: 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

See, peace, God's peace, happens even when things are following apart. God's peace can't be explained. God's peace is not about mild evenings but humid, hot afternoons when things are at their worst and you have nowhere else to turn. There he is. Waiting. With a salve of peace to put on what hurts.

No comments: