Friday, May 13, 2011

The water falls

Miss Kitty, the adoptee cat, ran across the lawn, trying to beat the water that was falling from the sky. It had been so long since it rained, I'm not at all sure she knew what it was.

The ground, parched and beaten and hard as a politician's head, almost roared in joy as the water fell harder and harder.

In Isaiah, God talks to his people about their returning home to Jerusalem. He does so by saying he will do some great, great things.

Some of those things include: "18 “Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland.
20 The wild animals honor me,
the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,
21 the people I formed for myself
that they may proclaim my praise."

I sense a dryness in the area, maybe in my ministry, maybe in my churches, maybe in those I know. I sense a dryness that has run deeper than the hard earth of this area.

But God said to the people who gathered beside the Euphrates in captivity, he would bring them home. He would change desert into moist earth, he would change dryness into moist, livable area.

Can He still do this? Will He still do this?

I believe so. The question is, do you?

No comments: