Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A changing universe

The book of the prophet Amos' writings tells us this in the fifth chapter: "Woe to you who turn justice to vinegar and stomp righteousness into the mud. Do you realize where you are? You're in a cosmos star-flung with constellations by God. A world God wakes up each morning and puts to bed each night. God dips water from the ocean and gives the land a drink. God, God-revealed, does all this. And he can destroy it as easily as make it. He can turns this vast wonder into total-waste.

The obvious question to me, then, is what universe are you living in?

I live in a universe, apparently, where it is inevitable that gay marriage will become law in this country. I live in a universe
I live in a universe where much of religious talk today is about rejecting certain types of Christianity and embracing a more welcoming, radically loving God and a faith in which it is OK to have doubts and fears.
I live in a universe where Rob Bell’s book “Love Wins,” is a best-seller and people have long conversations about words like “progressive” and “postmodern.” They talked a lot about not taking hell or Scripture literally, and whether or not people of different races, cultures or sexuality are welcome in all of our churches.
I live in  universe when kids like Caylee don't get justice.

I live in a universe that is all messed up, and apparently is getting more messed up as the days go by. I live in a universe where God isn't remembered and honored and given glory as much as he is whispered about on Sundays and forgotten the rest of the week.

I live in a changing universe where God isn't thought of as being the on who hung the stars any longer.

Where and when did it all change?

No comments: