Thursday, July 14, 2011

Another summer gone

I went to a place I had not been since I was a child, Dauphin Island, and nothing came back to me. I know this was a place that I had great times, but I have only two memories and they are sketchy at best. I remember riding down a dirt road by the camp house my aunt had, the first time she had driven since brain surgery for a tumor. I remember clearing a lot by the same camp. I remember going swimming with deep and strong waves and hurting my knee on a rock.

None of that was evident on this trip. For some reason I am extremely melancholy as I return. I don't have that many of these trips left and it was too short or to tame or something. I actually expected one of the dogs to have passed when  I got home. Crazy? Sure. But it's what I felt.

I wonder where all this is coming from, but I doubt I'll find answers soon. Another summer is almost gone, and memories are fading. Maybe I need to concentrate on new memories, but I find it hard.

I miss so many people, so many times, so many places. I've dreamed about sports writer three times in the past week. I feel like I'm slipping into failure, but the last really big failure I had led me straight to the woman of my dreams, my Mary. So what God has for us is just around the corner.

No comments: