Thursday, October 6, 2011

Brilliance doesn't matter

So, Steve Jobs, like the rest of us will some day, died yesterday. Amazingly it seems his end came right after Apple introduced an Iphone that the public was bored with almost instantly.

Jobs once said after being diagnosed with cancer, "Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help make the big choices in life. Your time is limited so don't wast it living someone else's life."

Good words. Good thought.

But let's go deeper here. What are the big choices in life? What phone to use? What computer? What new device you can't do without?

As far as I'm aware, Steve Jobs missed on the biggest choice of all. The Bible says of choices,:
     Anyone who chooses to do the will of God will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own.
     You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.     You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

These are random comments about choice, about choosing. They all say pretty much the same thing, and that is we have a choice, a big, big choice. That choice is to believe in Jesus Christ as our anointed one, our Messiah, our Savior. Or not.

The big choices in life are not, can not be whether we go PC or Mac. It's not to buy or not to buy. It's much deeper, more meaningful and the end result is not how we do typing, or gather music, or whatever. It is eternal life with God or eternal life without.

Steve Jobs was brilliant from all accounts. Brilliance doesn't matter, does it?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do we really know if Steve lost a lot of chances or not. How many lives have been brought to Christ because of an iphone, ipad or apply computer. We simply do not know. I hope in the tech world there are many christians who try to lead people to Christ. I know I belong to several christian sites includeing yours. I would have never done that without a computer

Unknown said...

Good thoughts, but I think I was writing about Steve Jobs himself. I have never read that the iphone, ipad or apple computer were invited to advance the kingdom of God, though certainly and clearly God uses what God wants to use.
Keep commenting....