Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Joyously, generously

The Common English Bible translates Paul's letter to Corinth, the 8th chapter, this way: "Brothers and sisters, we want to let you know about the grace of God that was given to the churches of Macedonia. While they were being tested by many problems, their extra amount of happiness and their extreme poverty resulted in a surplus of rich generosity. I assure you that they gave what they could afford and even more than they could afford, and they did it voluntarily."

My, my.

I'm in a what-if mood this morning, tired from a long, long day yesterday, bouncing back and forth from leading to ministering to leading to ministering. I'm thinking, what-if churches, all churches, gave the way one Chuck Coleman does?

Chuck led the prison ministry event I just finished. He did so despite doctors telling him he had something wrong with many internal organs. Seriously. He did it despite not being able to breathe well enough to go more than a few feet without gasping for breath. He did it despite being week and not being able to sleep. He led and he did his best and Christ touched lives.

Now he's in the hospital. They called it heart failure, and like a great friend said, anytime heart and failure are used in the same sentence, no good is coming from that.

How much should we give, is the question, I reckon.

At one point, scripture tells us 10 percent. The best 10 percent, but 10 percent. Then Jesus tops that with we should give all. Every bit. He uses a widow and a mite, a penny, a bit but that was what she had to describe giving. Then Paul puts all churches to shame with this story about churches in Macedonia who despite extreme poverty gave joyously generously.

I see nothing really about money in that passage, though that's probably what he meant. But here's the deal: We are all called to give, joyously generously. I spend a great deal of my time talking to folks about giving their dough to the church so that we can spend their dough on things, evangelism, mission, children, youth, you name it. It costs to do.

We're having a mission day on Oct. 23, a Sunday, where we meet then go to a couple of work projects and to delivery of bread and such. I've talked this up and talked this up and folks are going to do it, but I'm struck by the fact that no one is asking me with great enthusiasm, "hey, where do you need me?"

Joyously generously, that's how we should give.

1 comment: