Monday, October 29, 2012

Can't we simmer down?

We are eight days away from an important event (no, not a new episode of your favorite television show).

Without comment, I offer up these words: "So the Lord Almighty sent me with this message for the nations that had plundered his people: The Lord himself will fight against you, and you will be plundered by the people who were once your servants." When that happens, everyone will know that the Lord Almighty sent me."

I read a Facebook entry lately from a United Methodist minister that accused one of the presidential candidates of being a liar, and accused anyone who would vote for that candidate of being stupid. I reacted at first in anger, being one of those who would vote for that candidate. Then, over time, it began to dawn on me that this is so far beneath us, this type of Facebooking, that we should look inside ourselves and ask for forgiveness.

Where and when did it become appropriate for us to act like this? And by us, I meant, well, all of us.

If I disagree with you, where does it say that I can call you all sorts of names and be completely reasonable about it?

I totally disagree with some things one of the candidates has said and done. That does not make me stupid, no matter what you think. It makes me opinionated, which last time I looked, was even okay with God, much less the constitution of this country.

If we don't figure a way into some sort of common ground, some sort of way to attack the problems all of us are in, we're going to all sink.

The scripture from Zechariah continues: "At that time many nations will come to the Lord and become his people. He will live among you, and you will know that he has sent me to you."

If God comes to live among us, what would He think?

No comments: