Tuesday, October 9, 2012

We are summoned

May these rather famous words uplift you on this cool Fall morning: But now, this is what the Lord says -- he who created you, O Jacob; he who formed you, O Israel; 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."

I didn't write yesterday, having spent another morning in the doctor's office. Having spent another day searching for the lung I had coughed up. Having spent still another day almost completely without the ability to think, which these things call for on occasion.

It was one of the few times in the past three years that I was silent during the work week. And you know what occurred? Nothing. No calls, emails, facebooks, tweets, pigeons. Nothing. I didn't write, readers didn't read, and the world didn't spin off its axis nor the sun stop moving in the sky.

I coughed. The world continued.

I'm both happy and regretful about that.

Then the most wonderful thing happened. I went to a Bible Study, explaining to dear wife Mary that I'm paid to do that so I must go and teach (though I guess technically that's not true), and I felt better. Oh, far from perfect. Coughing spasms still come, and when they do, I must go. But I was able to talk, function and even learn while I taught.

The point? Let's go back to the beginning. He has summoned us by name. We are his. The text continues like this: "When you pass through the waters; I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. FOR I AM THE LORD, YOUR GOD, THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL, YOUR SAVIOR."

This morning I've been wracked by vicious coughs, my head hurts, but I'm better. I will go on, till I don't. Another Bible study, another day of planning for the Fall Stewardship Campaign. Another day at Kinder.

I'm not well, and I pray that this goes away after two difficult weeks.

But when we're sick, we have a tendency at some point to wonder, what if I don't get better? Will anyone notice? Will my life have meant anything?

The scriptures answer with a gleeful shout, "Yes." Why? Because He has summoned us by name. He knows us. He is aware of us. He watches us, as well as watches over us. He knows our difficulties, and our successes are His to glorify.

Makes getting up and writing a blessing, to me at least. Cough. Cough. Cough.

No comments: