Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gavin's stare

I am writing this with two fingers because my laptop connection is getting jiggy and won't allow me to type. But being a persistent one, here I type.

I'm in the Houston airport with a grateful heart as I have landed after one portion of my trip. And already ideas are poring forth as I contemplate a true week with God at the Adam Hamilton leadership summit.

I suspect my blogs might be shorter if this problem persists, but we will persevere.

But I have time and fingers for a Gavin story. Gavin is my special 5-year-old. This morning as he and his mom, Shanna, journeyed to school, Gavin said "O my God." His mom corrected him, saying you shouldn't use God's name unless you are praying to him directly. Gavin pondered this a minute, then said, "you know what's good about our school? We pray to God."

His mom said that was good and said his Pawpaw would like that. Gavin asked why. Shanna said because I was a pastor. Gavin asked what that is. Shanna reminded him of when they've gone to one of my churches And I've been up front speaking. Gavin said, "Oh, I don't listen. I just stare at him."

Shanna told him that listening to me might be a good idea.

Makes me wonder his many I have like in my congregations?

At least the boy gets points for honesty.

No comments: