Friday, October 26, 2012

He's bacccckkkkk

Perhaps you saw the story:

Edin Alexander, a Harvard neurosurgeon, nearly died four years ago when a ferocious E. coli meningitis infection attacked his brain and plunged him deep into a week-long coma. Brain scans showed his entire cortex -- the parts of the brain that give us consciousness, thought, memory and understanding -- was not functioning. Against all odds, Alexander woke up a week after being stricken. But he believes Holley was right: He wasn't there. Deep in coma, his brain infected so badly only the most primitive parts were working, Alexander claimed he experienced something extraordinary: a journey to Heaven. "My first memories from when I was deep inside: I had no language, all my earthly memories were gone," he said. "I had no body awareness at all. I was just a speck of awareness in kind of a dark, murky environment, in roots or vessels or something. And I seemed to be there for a very long time -- I would say years."

So, there. He has, of course, written a book called Proof of Heaven, which, of course can't possibly offer proof because, well, proof isn't much of what God is about.

The bottom line for God, as difficult as it is for some to understand or believe, is this: If you have proof, you don't need faith. For whatever reason, God has chosen faith as the mechanism we use to reach Him.

If it were me (and we should all be thankful I'm not God), I would ...

Come down and holler at both candidates for president "straighten up and help folks;"
Come down and walk the holy ground of the Temple Mount and say, "get over it you guys. I am."
Come down and heal someone, anyone, and tell all the "faith" healers of the world, "See, that's how it's done."

But He is not me (again, see above). He works in mystery and fog. Paul tells me one day I will see clearly, but for now, I see wisps.

Did the good doc go to heaven? I have no idea. Perhaps God wanted a message sent, and certainly he uses people to do that.

But more likely ....

I'll let your faith fill in the blanks.

No comments: