Wednesday, October 9, 2013

An amazing testimony, an amazing God

Psalm 40 tells us more about David. But perhaps it tells us more about ourselves.

It reads, "I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.

"He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise of our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord."

Isn't that an amazing testimony, and an incredible bit of teaching?

He gave me a new song to sing. He -- get that -- HE gave ME a hymn of praise to HIM. And the result isn't just happiness, joy and such for me, but OTHERS will put their trust in the Lord because HE gave ME a hymn of praise.

Wow. And wow again.

Recently we've had the opportunity to do business with a gentleman who has had great physical difficulty to go with perhaps less than superb mental acuity. He ran into a great deal of financial difficulty because he had a stroke, and his ability to work and thus maintain the money he owed each month.

We struggled mightedly this year because of that, each month, heck each day, a reminder that the money he owed each month was coming after the due date.

Monday he caught up. Today I was able to tell the company that was most interested in being paid on time that we had thus caught up and I assured them things would be better now.

I pray that's true.

But what God, and my wife, have taught me over these long 10 months is that trusting God doesn't simply come when things are good.

Through church conflict that is eating my intestines like some sort of flesh eating bacteria, through this financial woe and worry, through whatever is next on the Devil's agenda, we must sing a new song, putting our trust in the Lord because what's at stake is not just us and our own agenda. Nah, nah, nah. The true recipient of our patience, our kindness, our trust in our God is the ones who don't know yet THEIR God.

David continues, "Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord, who have no confidence in the proud or in those who worship idols. O Lord, my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal."

Oh, yes. He is an awesome God. Mighty. Trustworthy. Loving.

No comments: