Monday, October 28, 2013

Even in times of dispute, trust God. He's got this.

Someone once said, "All things come to him who knows how to trust and be silent."

A know a couple who recently ran into financial hardship, through fault mainly of the husband's ability to keep up with the finances as much as anything, as he tells the story. They were, in a word that used to mean more than perhaps it does today, broke. Not even gas money. He prayed yesterday, as he tells the story, and not only did he receive an unexpected check, some dear soul gave the couple a substantial gift.

I realize and admit that most prayers aren't answered within the hour of making them. I realize and admit that skepticism might come with this reading.

So what? I believe it to be true.

What will it take, what does it take, for us to realize how much we can trust the living God?

This weekend, a potential red-mark in United Methodist history, two men were married by a retired Bishop in Alabama, against the wishes of the Council of Bishops and the sitting bishop in the Alabama conference, as well as the Book of Discipline and, well, the law of the state of Alabama.

Hand wringing ensued. Rhetoric flew both ways, from both sides, sometimes even very hurtful rhetoric from those less enamored about learning to love neighbors.

What will come next? What must come next? All this was passed back and forth like commentators on ESPN passing judgment on what one game's outcome might have on the rest of football seasons.

This, I'm afraid, is no game. The consequences will indeed be felt far and wide, literally around the nation and even the world, especially in very conservative areas in Asia and Africa where Methodism continues to grow like newly planted (and it was) greenery.

But here's the deal; here's who I trust, more than any governing body, or denomination, or church.

From the highest of heights to the depths of the sea
Creation's revealing Your majesty
From the colors of fall to the fragrance of spring
Every creature unique in the song that it sings
All exclaiming

Indescribable, uncontainable,
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God
All powerful, untameable,
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

Here's what we do, friends. We trust that the God who set in motion the incredible, the impossible, the indescribable, the uncontainable will have the judgment seat here on all that has happened, from both sides, and both parties, and all circumstances. I trust that. I must.

My circumstances in October have teetered on the brink. But my God, who I trust with not only my life but my afterlife, is there at the brink before me.

I'm not saying everything is going to be all honky dory (which, by the way, I have no ideas of its definition). I am saying that God's got this.

If we believe that something in sin, then give it to God.
If we believe love conquers all, even sin, then give it to God.
If we believe something isn't sin or never was, then give it to God.

Give it to God. Trust God in this.

In fact, test God in this, and He says he will open up the windows of heaven.

I, actually, believe he still, still, still does.

No comments: