Friday, March 21, 2014

I know a man

"Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness."

I know a guy. You know what I mean? I know a guy. Young guy. Righteous guy. Dude is so fired up for Jesus that he might run into the fire not out of it should one be threatening him. Dude is ready to go, ready to rumble, righteously I mean.

Seems he had an idea. Saw an e-mail asking for a couple things of support for something or other called the New Orleans Mission. Seems he had an idea. He got some support from his own church, a mammoth by Louisiana standard church called St. Timothy's On The Northshore, he got some support from other churches on the Northshore (of New Orleans) and next thing you know, well, God's Holy Spirit breaks out all over.

Just like that.

I know a guy who had an idea for a feeding ministry a while back, and 150 persons every Wednesday night were fed and shown (hear me as I preach) the love of God.

I know a guy.

Everyone knows a guy.

See, this whole idea sweeping the nation again and again and again as it has the world again and again and again is what true ministry is, I suspect.

Someone has an idea, and just like that, God's word, God's love, God's will is done on earth as it surely is in heaven.

Someone pointed out to me this verse of scripture: "Just as each one has one body with many members, and these members do not have all the same function, so in Christ we are are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others."

There's been some talk where I minister as I write this of "church done right."

It seems to me that in the long run, church done right is loving those who sit next to you on the bench, loving those who you run into at your job or your school, loving those who you line up behind or in front of at the grocery story and on and on.

Unconditional love, a phrase bandied about with glee, is so hard to produce. But the ones who try the hardest, with God's great gift of grace as a catalyst, are the ones who are given the most in return.

I know a guy.

My guy is hungry, has no place to lay his head, has old worn clothing, walks where ever he goes, but is a loving, God-fearing man.

Perhaps you know him to.

His name is Phil.

or maybe Jesus.

You decide. Do you know a man?

No comments: