Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What if we could go back?

I got in one of those reflective moods in about two seconds time today. I got an email offering to make me the man I used to be.

I didn't open it out of fear more than anything, but it got me to thinking about the fact I don't want to be the man I used to be in a thousand ways. By the same token, there are many ways I think I do want to go back some. Splitting hairs? Well, what I have left of them.

Yesterday I was talking to a dear friend who mentioned another dear friend I haven't heard much talk about lately in my circles -- the Holy Spirit. I used to talk about Him all the time. There was a time and a place where we talked about what the Holy Spirit was doing in all our lives. We could see the movement like it was a trail from an airplane. Now? Not so much, I'm sad to say. And I'm not saying I'm immune from the uh, bla's like everyone else.

Last night I was at a Bible study and someone asked me why churches don't have revivals any more? I had no real answer other than it is terribly hard, it seems, to get people to come "back" to church. The church doesn't seem to be the citadel of solitude, the hospital for the hurting, the sanctuary for the unsettled any longer.

But what if it were? What if we began to return to what Jesus calls our first love? What if we began to love doing things at the church again? What if we became the men and women we were?

What if we pushed re-start on our spirituality? What if we found a way to show how much joy being in Christ can be? What if we gave like it meant something? What if we were excited again?

I suspect it would take more than a pill.

It would take a dose of that guy I hadn't heard about in a while.

No comments: