Thursday, October 30, 2014

Prophets or Law: Just give me Jesus

Once again we head to the middle of things.

I read this document this morning. I offer a bit of it.

"While currently we stand with those who believe that the Book of Discipline must be upheld, we also affirm the prophetic spirit driving those who call for full-inclusion of all persons into our church. This is not an easy place to rest. Many of us – while sensing a new movement of the Spirit may be at hand – are uncomfortable with the dynamics involved with the ordination of non-celibate homosexuals and the marriage of gay and lesbian persons in our local churches. We serve congregations that are by no means of one mind on this issue, in communities where Christians from other tribes are warning our people of the “dangers” of our denomination’s “precarious disunity.” We are tired of seeing the United Methodist Church in the national news only when a few in our ranks engage in a public dispute over homosexuality.

"We also are aware of changing attitudes in our culture, particularly the young, as we serve congregations that are on the average, 20 years older and much more homogeneous than the general population. We are torn both by scripture which addresses issues of what is acceptable sexual practice and by the call of the prophets to love justice, offer mercy, and walk humbly with the Lord.
"But in our estimation the willingness of some who stand for the “Law” and others who stand for the “Prophets” to break or call for a break in our covenant is an egregious undertaking which is doing untold damage to our connection. Those who break covenant or call for us to do so, regardless of their position, have forgotten that the authority of both the “Law” and the “Prophets” hang solely on love (Matthew 22:36-40):  love which is patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil, rejoices with the truth, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres, and never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8). Thus we reject the call arising from those who say we do not need each other. In response, we believe that every member of the Body of Christ is vital in our mission and ministry."

Let me say without hesitation, that I agree with all of this. I'm not sure what title or name or position that puts me in, but I understand the problem and I agree that we must reject the idea that we don't need each other in my denomination. I am not attached at the hip to my denomination, but I am in line with almost everything doctrinally this denomination stands for. I believe that we must see the need to disagree with love and determination to stay one. 

Isn't that what this whole life is about?

Heck, just give me Jesus.

No comments: