Friday, December 4, 2015

Has God left the building?

About eight years ago, we packed up all my mother’s things, walked out of her house, the house I had spent much of my youth, and said goodbye to it. It was heart-rending. I looked at the creek down by the valley, walked to the bridge on Old Highway 39 and looked down, walked down to the edge of the hill at the back of the house whee I had overlooked the valley whenever I really wanted to think or see deer or whatever.

We were leaving.
Time was passing.
All the history and memories and love was passing at I would eventually after long, long minutes of staring at the valley get up and walk away. I haven’t been back.

 In Ezekiel 10 we read one of the saddest passages of scriptures:
“Then the cherubim rose upward. These were the living creatures I had sneezy the Kebar River. When the cherubim moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the cherubim spread their wings to rise from the ground, the wheels did not leave their side. When the cherubim stood still, they also stood still; and when the cherubim rose, they rose with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in them. Then the glory of the Lord departed from the threshold of the temple and stopped above the cherubim. While I watched, the cherubim spread their wings and rose from the ground, and as they went, the wheels went with them. They stopped at the entrance of the east gate of the Lord’s house, and the glory of the God of Israel was above them.

God left. Just up and left. Just had enough and left. God, who created, who loved, who loves, got up and left.

 We are at a critical stage, it seems to me. I’ve written and written and though I am most assuredly no one I can’t imagine I’m the only one who believes that until we come together we will continue to come apart.

I do not dislike at best, or hate at worst, those who do not believe in God as I most assuredly do. I do not dislike or hate those inside the rooms of faith that are more conservative or more liberal than am I.

I believe that with discussion can come some resolution. You do not have to believe as do I. You can believe in the Genesis version of creation or you can not, you can believe in the virgin birth or the miracles of healing or the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. Your choice. God allows you to have those choice, this country allows you to have that choice, I — little me — certainly give you that choice.

Then there is the most ridiculous use of newspaper print I’ve ever seen.

Yesterday’s New York Daily News Cover is abysmal. Absolutely abysmal.

In huge white type on a black background we read this headline:
GOD
ISN’T
FIXING
THIS

Around the headline is four copy blocks with pictures.

Ted Cruz
Our prayers are with victims, their families, and the first responders in San Bernadino
Dr. Rand Paul
My thoughts and prayers are with the victims, families, and braves first responders
Paul Ryan
Please keep the victims of San Bernardino, California in your prayers
Lindsey Graham
Thoughts and prayers are with SanBernardino

Each time the word prayer is used, it is in yellow highlight.

The bottom subhead reads (underlined in white with words innocent Americans, cowards, end gun scourge and platitudes in red)

As latest batch of innocent Americans are left lying in pools of blood, cowards who could truly end gun scourge continue to hide behind meaningless platitudes

I won’t even go into the thought process that allows an editorial on the front page of the newspaper. Let’s go beyond that stupidity and emotionalism.

Let’s go to the face that this subject, this scourge (a fine word that certainly is accurate) is two-sided. Both sides of the aisle need to get this fixed. Both sides have their own concerns. Both sides are dealing with a huge problem.

And incredibly insensitive and non-productive swipes at those who believe their is someone greater than ourselves is worthless. In my mind, someone should be fired today.