Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Troubled hearts


Sometimes what we need, beyond fact and beyond even fiction is an idea that there is something more, something beyond. 

Jesus knew that feeling, and he spoke truth into it. He said, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

Feeling down? "Do not let your hearts be troubled."
In pain? "Do not let your hearts be troubled."
In emotional distress? "Do not let your hearts be troubled."
Physically wrecked, near death, never lived in the first place, never tried and thus never succeeded? "Do not let your hearts be troubled."

It is all about him. He takes the burden, and gives us rest. He turns water into wine and whiskey into water. He changes the ones who have such a temper they can't even discuss the least thing without blowing up.

He is who he is, and who he is is God.

No more, certainly no less. He is the one who is waiting for us. He has prepared a place. 
Look, when Jesus said these words, he knew what was going on in the minds and hearts of his disciples. He knew how disturbed and upset they were, and he knew his talk about going away was the reason. So, he gives them the remedy for what ailed them. 

Perhaps this morning or evening or whenever you read this, you heart is troubled. Mine recently went into A-Fib and went into all sorts of trouble. But I couldn't, wouldn't fall to the idea that this would be all there is.

Because, because He told me not to be troubled.

No comments: