Saturday, February 27, 2010

Done is as done does

David wrote these words:

O God, why have you cast us off forever? Why does Your anger smoke against the sheep of Your pasture? Remember Your congregation which you have purchased of old. The tribe of your inheritance, which you have redeemed -- the Mount Zion where You have dwelt.

Let's see here, God loves the Hebrews so much that he brought them out of Egypt and slavery (purchased of old). He redeemed them. He loved them. He protected them.

Yet they continued to fall, to sin, to waste that love and protection.

We laugh at them and their weakness.

And we do the same things they did, over and over, despite having a savior who takes care of us individually.

Among the Thirsy's song, I need a savior, tells us this:


How many names Can I use to explain
The love of my Jesus The life that He gave
And so many times Will I praise You today
I lift up my life Cause You’re always the same
And my off-er-ing, To you I bring

Your name is Jesus Your name is Jesus
You’re the wonderful, counselor, my friend
You’re what I hold on to, I know that You brought me through
All the days of loss and to the cross, You knew
That I’d need a Savior
That's whom I need. I need a wonderful, counselor, a friend. I need someone to hold on to, someone who will bring me through. Someone I can talk to, someone I can cry on their shoulder, someone who smiles at my antics and gets on to me when I make those dreadful mistakes that always come.

I go up, and I fall down. That's the pattern of my life. But through it all, through every single little mistake and penalty, there is my savior, whose blood washed me clean.

Notice the tense of the verb? He's done it already. He's paid the price, for me, for you, for us.

God, my God, my Jesus, does not cast me off forever. That's the difference in the Old and New Testaments. I'm paid for. I've got a God who will not leave me if I merely repent of my sins (which means I quit doing them as best I can, turn the other direction and live another way). I am forgiven. I am redeemed. It is done.

No comments: