Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Jesus requests your friendship

I was driving when the phone rang. (That seems like the beginning of a cheap detective novel, but it's not). Or do phones actually ring any more? Anyway, the phone went off (do phones...) and I answered.

It was a former boss or co-worker or whatever he might have been. He was calling to see how I was, how life post-retirement was treating me and so on. I kept waiting for him to fall to his knees figuratively and beg me back to the newspaper, but that never happened. They apparently still can do without me.

Afterwards i was puzzled. Why would someone actually call to check on me? Am I giving off bad vibes? Am I the subject of rumors?

Then it hit me what was so puzzling. He was merely doing what all of us should be doing...he was being kind and concerned.

Now that we facebook and we twitter and we myspace and we google and we do all these things, we've lost actual vocal contact with the world and especially with those we call friends. I've confirmed nearly all the free world as my friend, but there are few who actually meet that selective criteria. The criteria? Those who actually come in contact with each other, actually have a relationship.

Some say they can't have a relationship with Jesus for the relatively simple reason that he is dead and they can't actually talk back and forth with him.

My answer? Facebook, twitter, myspace, google. We don't actually talk back and forth and my goodness if the 3g network, or my I-phone or my Internet were to crash at the same time my world would come crashing at the same time.

Jesus and I have a relationship in the way that my cousin June and I have a relationship. Every single time I need to talk, June is there. Every single time I need to talk with Jesus, He truly is there. He is there in the Bible, in my prayers, oftentimes in my dreams. He is there. He is there in a way that even June can't be.

I wait on Him, he comes. I listen for him, he moves my heart. I never, never am without Him. I know that to the world that is foolishness, but that's truly the way it is.

I never have to Facebook him. I never have to wait for the e-mail connection. I don't. He is with me instantly.

In the Message, Job answers God after several run ins. He says this: I'm convinced. You can do anything and everything. Nothing and no one can upset your plans. ... You told me, Listen and let me do the talking. Let me ask the questions. You give the answers. Admit I once lived by rumors of you; now I have it all firsthand -- from my own eyes and ears."

Once you turn your life, and your relationships, over to Christ. Life changes. That's simply the way it is.

Confirm his friendship. Soon.

No comments: