Thursday, May 13, 2010

Wasted days

Have you felt lost lately?

I don't mean the television show. I mean a sense of, uh, being without. Not connecting. Not feeling. Sluggish. Without hope, at least momentarily.

If so, you have some famous company.

This was written by a man named David, a king once:
4 Let those on the hunt for you
sing and celebrate.
Let all who love your saving way
say over and over, "God is mighty!"

5 But I've lost it. I'm wasted.
God—quickly, quickly!
Quick to my side, quick to my rescue!
God, don't lose a minute.

David, king of all of Israel, defeater of giants, killer of thousands and he's lost it.

Does that give you, what, comfort? A realization that everyone hits the wall. An understanding that nothing is permanent. That all the good feelings that sometimes bubble up also bubble down?

This morning, before dawn, I walked into a sultry, humid morning and I smelled oil. I live a couple hours from the oil slick that still is developing in the gulf and I smelled oil. What must the people of the gulf be smelling, feeling, experiencing?

How do they make a joyful noise unto God when hurricanes keep bashing them and now oil is slicking them?

I really don't know, except, except, with the new dawn comes new opportunity for new grace and mercy. I really believe that. I believe that God adores us and will do whatever he can for our needs. I don't understand all the mechanisms of that. I don't get why we have to go through some of the things we go through. But that's His business, not mine.

Come quickly, God, indeed.

No comments: