Thursday, May 6, 2010

What are your blessed by?

Paul writes to the folks he knew in Corinth (folks being a perfectly good word in Greek whether you realize it or not): I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ; That in everything you are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge.

That's King James for I thank Jesus for your breath, for your smile, for your eyes, for your early morning moments and your late evening seconds.

I thank Jesus for you.

This is a hugely significant thing we all can learn to do, by the way. I thank Jesus for you...

I thank Jesus that you understand how you are saved, so that you do not go around wasting valuable seconds on trying to work yourself into heaven...

I thank Jesus that you understand how much you are loved, so that you do not go around working toward somebody caring for you...

I thank Jesus that you understand how much trouble God went to so that He could run down that road toward you, with clothing hitched up high so that His sandals were clipping along at their maximum speed. ...

I thank Jesus for you.

I look at my wife, Mary, and it is true that she is not the woman she was 25 years ago. Time and, well, me have etched her face and made her back hurt and have strained her, uh, patience. But she is every bit as lovely and compassionate and gentle and kind and self-controlled as she was the day I met her. She is, for lack of a better example, Mary.

I thank Jesus for her, daily. She is everything a wife could be, should be and if I get out of the way and do not mess things up uncontrollably, she is everything a wife would be.

I thank Jesus for most everything in my life, but Mary is clearly atop that list. She is my constant (to steal from Lost).

Jesus didn't bless me with outstanding looks or a great athletic body. He did bless me with Mary.

I thank Jesus for her.

What do you thank him for?

Isn't it about time you began?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to Mary. I thank Jesus for evrything I have including you. Love, June