Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bowing out

So, it's come to this. My office upstairs at my "home' is cleared of everything but a chair, a desk, a computer and a printer. Those will go out tomorrow afternoon. It's the end of the world as I've known it.

We're almost moved. The big truck comes Monday and we enter, Mary and I, into a new world filled with strange possibilities. We will be living in someone else's house for the first time in more than two decades. Strange times, these.

We'll be in a parsonage, which means the house provided by a church for its pastor. Never lived in one of those before. We'll see how all this goes.

Looking back, it seems we leave a bit of us every where we go, do we not? I was thinking last night about how little I knew my own father. I never knew his dreams, his aspirations, his motives, his past really. I didn't really know him. Then I got to thinking, I'm not sure at all that my kids have even read my book, which is the story of how I got to this point. Maybe we all take each other for granted in the long run. Parents don't share enough with kids and kids sure as heck have trouble sharing with parents.

And we die without knowledge of each other, having left behind only nuggets to be picked up at random.

The Bible is a lot of things but one of those is it's a history of parent to child, child to child to child. Heritage and where the people of the Israelites had been was execptionally important.

I'm sure I'm wacky, but I think we've lost some of that. I never knew my grandparents, never met them at all. I haven't seen my dad's family at all but once or twice since he died in 1989. I should. In fact, I think I'll call my aunt elsie this very day just because I can.

This is the last one of these before Tuesday, when I'll fire it up in my office at the church which is about a half-mile from my new "home." I'll keep doing these till I don't. I love you guys out there, whomever you are.

No comments: