Monday, August 16, 2010

Pressing on

Paul tells us what life sometimes comes down to when he writes, "Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own." He adds, "I do not consider that I have made it my own, but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus."

I press on, when things are going poorly.
I press on, when our checking account doesn't equal or better my bills.
I press on, when our goals are unachievable.
I press on, when our relationships are rocky.
I press on, when the path we've taken is clearly a poor one.
I press on, when the decisions made are not the right ones.
I press on, Paul says.

Have you felt that you were doing that? Or is there some give up in your game?

Pressing on means not quitting though the times are tough and the ideas for getting out of the tough times are few.

Pressing on means taking what God has given and running with it, against all odds, against all means, against all jeopardy.

Pressing on means never taking no for an answer, or at least not doing it too quickly or for the wrong reasons.

Pressing on means understanding that we can't do anything about what's happening to us at the moment, at least on our own.

Pressing on means understanding the idea of serenity in the first place, which is accepting what I can't make a change in or fix.

Pressing on means taking charge of the situation by letting go of the situation and letting God be God.

Pressing on means turning aspiration, inspiration and perspiration over to God. He will honor all of the above.

Pressing on means trying when giving up would be a bit more rational.

Pressing on means believing in something so much you don't let others talk you out of it.

For Paul it simply meant straining for what lies ahead. What lies ahead if the marvelous eternal time spent with God.

I press on...

No comments: