Monday, March 28, 2011

His own hands

I'm deeply involved in the Psalms right now because I'm tired. When I'm tired, I try to turn to the source of peace that helps me the most, and it is in the Psalms most of the time, though Philippians is a close second.

In the past seven days, I went to prison with all the emotional landmines that had, came back to have an emotional board meeting, started leadership training that centered both on my own shortcomings and the shortcomings of the execution of our plans for the church, drove 3.5 hours each way to speak 20 minutes about some young and some not so young persons considering ministry goals and then had an exceptional worship service yesterday despite my shortcomings musically one more time.

Whew.

Then I read, "with you very own hands, you formed me; now breathe you wisdom over me so I can understand you. When they see me waiting, expecting your Word, those who fear you will take heart and be glad. I can see now, God, that your decisions are right."

Understanding just how wonderful God is, how wise God is, is the first part of the communicative process with a supreme being. The second part is understanding him on a second level, the level of relationship. Just knowing He is there isn't enough. Demons, the Bible says, know that. But having a relationship with him is the more vital move.

Pray. Even short prayers that seem to have no consequence. Pray.
Read. Even short bursts of scripture, taken in context, are better than none.

As we all grow nearer that moment of death that will come to us all, can't we understand the necessity of having a relationship with someone who loves us so much that He will be on our death beds with us, lying there, pushing the hair out of our eyes, rubbing our cold or warm foreheads with a loving hand?

"With you very own hands, you formed me..."

The energy begins to flow in again.

No comments: