Saturday, March 12, 2011

Seeking something worth praising

Everyone who loving is bon of God and knows God. Whover does not know love does no know God, for God is love. 1 john4:7b-8

In a moment of confessin, I say what I suspect many have said over time. I'm a jerk. A part-time jerk, I hope, but certainly a jerk at least some of the time. I'm a jerk to my wife, the sweest, gentliest, loving PERSON i've ever met. There is nothing she won't do for others.

But me? I try to fix thinga, systems, even people. Not because I'm superior. Lord know, I'm not. But I try to fix things out of an inordinat amount to guilt and thankfulness. I was saved. I stress out trying to return the favor,

Today our reading from Scot McKnight's book 40 Days Living the Jesus Creed  is sinple in its reasoing. See God's face. I did that and wrote about it last week and complely turned the week around. I was having a chore-filled week and suddenly blessings flowed down like icecream down the side of a bowl.

Stealing from myself, I noticed this last week: "Today, my friend, is a perfect day to actively seek the Lord. Go after Him. Praise Him first, but go after Him second. The Bible puts it this way, over and over: "Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always."


There's the constant notion that His face is what we seek. What if we see it? Moses got a glimpse and his face shined like reflective silver.

David wrote of it this way: "My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, LORD, I will seek." And again, 'Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always."

Moses said of seeking God, "But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the LORD your God and obey him."

And there is this idea: "Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name;

"Let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always."

McKnight says the face of the Lord is love. True. It's lovely enogh that we're still searching for it, just to sing praises to him. Whew. Must be somthing. Notice that the previous line reads, "Let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!" Just the act of seeking is enogh to bring down the house with rejoicing.

Today, let us seek him.
Today, let us get closer to him, with him.
Today, let me be bathed in God's love, dried off in God's grace, clothed in humility, and sent forth to sacrifice as did Jesus.

No comments: