Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Well done

It is a dark day, this day. I need lights on as I write at 7:30 a.m.

I guess it's as good a day as any to talk about a dark subject, this thing we call death. I must admit, early on, that death frightens me. I don't dwell on it, because I know my Lord defeated death long ago. I really know that, not think it or believe it. But still, I fear death because, well, I love those around me so much even if I don't see my family as nearly as I should.

I am older, perhaps twice as fast as I once was, by the day. Aches. Pains. Surprises of aches and pains, like the chest pain I awoke with today, fill my mornings. I get things going in the right direction about an hour into the day, and for the most part I survive the rest of the day.

I find myself watching info-mercials about fixing bodily aches and pains far too often. I wonder what it would be like to be 10 years younger, 20 years younger. Death is a companion I haven't invited.

And I await that day when I am too old to wonder any longer. It's coming, like the proverbial train through the tunnel toward me.

Jesus, on his journey to Jerusalem to die for all of us, knew when he would die. I've wondered whether that was a blessing or a curse. In any case, he knew, and he did it anyway.

Then three days later, he rose from the dead. Death was beaten, badly, like a No. 1 seed in the NCAA basketball tournament these days.

Before that, however, he told us something we can use this dark morning as we contemplate death. He said, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe* in God, believe also in me. 2In my Father’s house there are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?* 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also."

I read those words at every funeral I officiate at. They speak to me of a hope that nothing else can give. This hope extends to all who seek it.

I believe this morning that dear Adrian has that hope. She has passed  onto that place where there is more than hope, where Paul talked of the ability to see clearly that which we see through a dark glass currently. She has no pain. She has no fear. Death has been beaten, once again.

Death is something to be respected, even feared, but with Jesus as our Lord, we must never be troubled. Instead, we can look forward to that day when we hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

It's coming.

No comments: