Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Joyful, joyful, we adore thee

A great friend reminded me yesterday of the merit of reading a Psalm a day and meditating on it. Seems I'm stuck in Psalms 119 so I will continue there.

David wrote, "Oh, how I love all you've revealed; I reverently ponder it all day long."

I've had discussions lately about what is reverent, especially in worship. I have a tendency, apparently, to use humor during the service, and there are some who feel that is in error.

So, I'm working on trying to be as joyful as I can be without being irreverent. That might be a chore for me.

What is reverent to you, the reader? What can and can't you do in worship? I love to sense the Spirit in worship and dry worship isn't Spirit-filled worship to me. Truthfully, I don't feel the Spirit through liturgy. Perhaps it is to others. We differ, or so I'm told.

I know only this: "Every word you give me is a miracle word -- how could I help but obey?" God sends His word out and it never comes back void. And when David danced before the Lord, God thought enough of that act to include it in scripture.

Today I hope I'm filled with joy enough that someone might notice. I hope that I'm Spirit-filled enough that someone might see the Spirit dancing in my eyes. I pray that all of us are that shining city on a hill.

Reverent is as reverent does, I guess.

No comments: