Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The gnormity of God

Focus is a wonderful thing, when one doesn't focus too much on any one thing.

Got that?

Recently ill and forced to spend way too much time thinking about things one doesn't want to think much about, I grew tired of the focus being on me and I turned it as best I could away from gnormous bills and toward a gnormous God, my friend, my companion.

David wrote of him this way, "You're all I ant in heaven! You're all I want on earth! When my skin sags and my bones get brittle, God is rock-firm and faithful!"

This past week, and it was a week ago when I lost myself in myself, I was forced to surrender physically. There was nothing I could do to help myself. I was beyond that, somewhere out among the helpless. But God was rock-firm.

That led me to think of all the times He has saved me. This one and done thing with Christ is wonderful. Jesus saved me from my sins. But God has done more. He has saved me from me, constantly. He is the nurse who wipes up my excesses. He is the doctor who sees in my heart. He is the chaplain who talked of Jesus with me when I was barely sure who I was, much less who this Jesus was. He is Jesus, who waited for my mind to return before taking the emotional burden away.

"I've made the Lord God my home," David wrote. "God, I'm telling the world what you do!"

That is the purpose of That's Life, I've come to understand. I'm not Max Lucado. I'm not anyone like that, capable of millions of readers. But if one person reads what Jesus has wanted me to write, so be it. That's a good day.

"I'm still in your presence," David wrote, "but you've taken my hand. You wisely and tenderly lead me, and then you bless me."

The end is nearer than it was, but maybe I get a new beginning as well.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Here's one! Thanks for penning Jesus' words for all to read.