Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Words of God

Years ago I began this ministry that is in its 12th year. At the beginning, my mentor gave me opportunity to be in front of persons. He called it speaking, not preaching. I wasn't sure what the difference was at the time. I saw him on Sunday morning doing essentially what I was doing at a contemporary service on Sunday evening.

What makes preachers and those sent to do ministry but not necessarily from the pulpit successful? What, then, is success, I wondered?

I think these words explain some of it. Second Samuel records David's last words as these, in part: "The Spirit of the Lord speaks through me; his words are upon my tongue."

What a wonderful description of a spiritual success.

Moses said this:  "At the mountain the Lord spoke to you face to face from the heart of the fire. 5 I stood as an intermediary between you and the Lord, for you were afraid of the fire and did not want to approach the mountain. He spoke to me, and I passed his words on to you."

Job said: "I have not departed from his commands,but have treasured his words more than daily food."

See, it is clear that what we do, who we are, why we're here should be dictated by the very word of God, through the Word of God, Jesus. Spiritual success is about doing what God has dictated through his Spirit, who gives us the Word of God, still.

The difference between speaking and preaching? God's words given to the person who has submitted his or her will to God. You'll know it when you see it and hear it, I believe.

I only hope I've learned over the years what the difference truly is.

No comments: