Tuesday, April 19, 2011

God's favor in my life

Today, 26 years ago, I worked at the Jackson Daily News. I put out the paper, got it ready with headlines and such for pring, then I went to get married.

My darling Mary and I tied the knot, as it were, at the Justice of the Peace. We had no money for a large (or a small) wedding, so we didn't have one. That should have shown her my insensititivy right there.

But my life was changed at that moment. It still is being changed.

Mary has been my anchor. She helped lead me to the risen Christ. She helped me get through addictions and pains and sorrow. She has been everything to me.

Now, in my ministry, people often notice when I'm around. But they always, always ask how Mary is or where Mary is. She is sweet, and she is caring, and she is sacrificing. She always has been. Jesus changed her significantly, but she was always loving, always kind, always willing to help.

How and why God gave her to me is a mystery, but clearly my ministry isn't my ministry. It is our ministry, and through the teamwork we display, we get some little things done.

Two weeks ago tomorrow, she basically saved my life. But then she's been doing that for 26 years.

Proverbs says of a wonderful wife, "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD."

Proverbs also says, "A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value."

Today, for any male readers who are married, give a hug to that wife of noble character you have. You are blessed. God has seen your need and met it.

Oh, thank you Lord, for all you've done in my life. You certainly gave me favor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful lady. Love, June

Cheryl said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you.