Friday, September 28, 2012

Goodbye to some

Today is a special day for so many friends. Today, or this weekend, is the end of a grand old lady, as far as I'm concerned. Today is the last day for my home away from home for so many years, The Times-Picayune.

Oh, I know it will continue. Three days a week. I know it continues on a digital format (which by the way, can't they figure out how to show the prep stories in their entirety on an I-Pad?)

I could wax poetic about all the good times and all the good people, and that's all true. But what I'm feeling is for them, not myself. I chose to leave that life three years ago and I seldom look back. I pray they find that same sense of closure, though I doubt many will. The difference, I guess, is I chose and so many of them are not.

I could go on and on about that, but the bottom line is as a business, they have the right to hire and fire. Everyone knew that going in. Am I surprised they've done it the way they've done it? Absolutely. The how and why of who was retained and who was let go sometimes eludes me.

But that's fine. It eluded me when I was there. But for the ones who wanted to stay and couldn't, I pray they find something new to do with their lives, and I pray they find peace.

Those two things sometimes are the same thing. It happened for me, to me. I know then that it is true. That thing is a person named Jesus, and for those who know him, a little thing like a layoff is nothing. Nothing at all.

No comments: