Friday, January 4, 2013

Back to the Lake

Interesting how these things work.

Two weeks ago, my wife, Mary, and I determined we were going back to Israel in January, 2014. No, we don't really have the money, but that trip was so important to us, and we feel will be again, that we determined we were going. We would save for a year all her paycheck from her part-time job, and as much of my salary as we could.

Plus, if we got 10 persons to go under our leadership, we would go free. Five persons and one goes free. We were told getting 10 persons would be no worry whatsoever. We were set. We put our first month's tally in the bank on Monday.

Then we started getting turned down by people we were assured were all in. So, five be it. On Friday, today, Mary's employer let her go. Business wasn't happening, so neither was Mary. So, without five persons, it will be difficult to go. But not impossible. No, we don't believe in the impossible any longer.

Our reaction has been one to watch. My normal attack on these matters is to get down, disgruntled, woe is me kind of thing. But both of us have taken the tact that if it is meant to be, it will.

I believe that's called maturity in Christ. I never imagined maturity and me would be in the same frame work, frankly.

Jesus' disciple Peter once wrote, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation ..."
Paul wrote, "Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. 3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans?"

The reason I still teach Bible Studies three times a week is that I still need to learn. But the good news, nah, the great news is it seems from time to time I seem to be growing. I certainly recognize the growth in Mary.

What will happen? Who but God knows? It might take three years of saving. It might never happen. I pray it does, but maybe we need to put our money somewhere else. I only know that I never felt closer to God than when I was on the Sea of Galilee, and I want to be there again.

No comments: