Monday, January 7, 2013

Cat wrangling

There are some things man simply can't explain. This story is one of them:

Late last week, a cat was detained in the grounds of a jail in Brazil with contraband goods for prisoners strapped to its body with tape. The white cat was apprehended crossing the main prison gate.

The incident took place at a jail in Arapiraca city, 155 miles  south-west of Recife in Alagoas state.
The confiscated items included drill bits, files, a mobile phone and charger, plus earphones The cat was taken to a local animal centre. The jail holds some 263 prisoners.

In what might be the quote of the year when all is said and done, a prison spokesperson was quoted by local paper Estado de S. Paulo as saying: "It's tough to find out who's responsible for the action as the cat doesn't speak." Officials said the items could be used to effect a means of escape or for communicating with criminals on the outside.

Now, I've given this plenty of thought, and if I was in prison, getting any of our dissident cats to do anything to get me out would be nigh impossible. They wouldn't even notice I wasn't there any more if the food continued.

 Harry the refugee I saved from side of the road; Cali, the lost kitty from a RV sales lot; Missy, dropped off as a kitten outside one of my former churches; Trudy, saved after her master (96 years of age) passed away after I promised I would find Trudy a home; Rocky, thrown into the ditch outside another church of mine in the past; and Elsie, the only home-grown, who will not be held for any reason.

You would think with all the saving I've done over time, these guys and gals would be somewhat thankful, but you would be wrong. They live. Anyway they desire, they live. Rocky is the current terrorist in the house, wanting to play with any and all -- except big ol' Harry who doesn't put up with such.

But if I was to tape a bunch of things to their side, and then try to tell them to go save Timmy in the well, they would first, look at me like I was nuts, then they would spend the rest of the time trying to get the dang tape off of them.

So someone out there is a great, great cat whisperer. Course, they're in prison, so the reality show might not be coming too quickly.

No comments: