Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My striving is ....

Yesterday my Facebook pages exploded with the phrase, "My jihad is ..."

And people felt the need to expand upon it. For those who might night know what a jihad is, "It is a religious duty for Muslims." It appears 41 times in the Koran, normally associated with the word struggle. It is about "striving in the way of God."

It is not, as one quickly assumed, always a struggle against the enemies of Islam.

And what the person or persons who began this thing means, I pray, is what is your own striving in the way of God.

After painfully and longingly thinking about this, I don't have a set passion. I want desperately for more to come to Christ, but as the years progress, I wonder just what that means. Just yesterday I had to say goodbye to a friend for all the wrong reason (none of my own), and I wonder just what good I've done, again, in my ministry.

I suspect that as the new year begins, we should probably isolate a passion in Christ, and by that I mean, what will we work hardest on this year as part of the body of Christ? What will be our jihad?

I want to know Christ more. I want to be more disciplined. I want to be more forgiving, and more loving, and more giving. I want ...

And therein lies my problem. After all this time, too often it is about what I want. So, my jihad is to let Christ be more in charge and to have lesser of me.

That should solve some of my striving.

No comments: