Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Six word theology

Let's exercise our minds a bit today, especially since I had 12 readers all of yesterday so exercise wasn't happening on Monday apparently.

I heard this last week and have saved it for a Tuesday. This is the first one that has happened.

The exercise? Name your theology in six words.

Theology, of course, is the thinking of God. So, what do you think of God, in six words?

Mine came to me almost immediately. I must admit I wondered why. But it did. Six words that explain what I think God meant with thousands of words in the Bible. Six words that explain what I believe God is saying to me through the Holy Spirit. Six words that say what his love is all about.

Think it through. Take your time. Reply if you will.

But my theology in six words is (ready for it?), "For God so loved the world."

That's it. Simple but exact. God loved the world so much that he gave us his son, and that act shows us what giving is about, what surrender is about, what love is about, what sacrifice is about, what Jesus was about.

God so loved.

And what did He love? The world. Not some fundamentalist camp. Not some liberal institution. The world.

Simple as that.

So, what is your six words?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forgiving, Loving, Knowing, Generous, Kind, Forever