Friday, March 8, 2013

The waves are real

Walls and chains....
Time passing quickly ...
Courage slipping ...
Waiting for strength.

Have we talked before about what worship is and what it could be? I don't remember, because I'm creeping so near my 60th birthday that I don't know how much I remember and how much I've forgotten.

Matthew West sings, "no looking back; run for your life; no more living in the shadows; step into the light."

So, I went back to the beginning for today's memory/musing.

Jesus calls the ones who will be his disciples. Peter and his brother Andrew were throwing an old, heavy net into the water of the sea we call Galilee. Jesus says, "Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Without thought or discussion, they came.

What must that have been like? This man calls, and you drop everything. Everything. HEAR IT AND BELIEVE IT. Everything. They dropped it all and followed.

I know some of that. I know something about dropping who you were to become who you're meant to be.

But I wonder if they ever gave thought to what they had been doing. The easy answer is no. But that wouldn't be true. In fact, after Jesus was crucified, what did they do, they went back to what they were before they became part of His life.

Looking back isn't as bad as never thinking it through. There are dry spots in all of us, I believe. But the answer is Jesus didn't give up on them. He came, cooked some breakfast, and said hello again.

I often feel out of place, and I often wonder where I'm headed. But I never forget whom I am following. That's not in play. What is in play is where I go next.

Part of that, I think, is what it's like to be a disciple. People who fish for men do so on the waves of the sea. It's never flat, glassy water.

No comments: