Friday, March 22, 2013

Thy sister's keeper

In Genesis' fourth chapter we read, "Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?” “I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?” 10 The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground. 11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. 12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.13 Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear. 14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.” 15
Am I my brother's keeper? Think this through. Think of the time away from your brother. Think of the time away from him during the day. Think of the time during the night.

Today Mary and I are going to Jackson, Miss., to see the grandaughters for their quasi-birthdays. The time between the two birthdays is the time we have joined together for the birthdays. We're celebrating their days of birth.

They are precious days, days where the two girls are joined, days where we honor them as if they were born on these days.

We travel through the time combined, remembering, honoring. Am I thy sister's keeper? Well, yeah. Guess we are.

No comments: