Monday, March 11, 2013

The journey begins

So, here we go. We're heading to Jerusalem. It's only two plus weeks until we enter for Passover. What shall we do till then?

Let's look at what we've been doing for Him.

We were walking along, not really doing anything. He hadn't been teaching much lately, just healing some folks like the blind man at Bethsaida, and that wild day when He fed 4,000 or so (we never did count them all, which drove Judas crazy because he was all about professions of faith and such). As we went around Caesarea Phillipi, He suddenly stopped and asked us, Who do people say I am."

It's interesting to me that the preacher doesn't hear as much as the student much of the time. And John and James and Andrew and the rest all hear more about Him that He does.

Andrew said, "Well, some say John the Baptist."
John smiled and said, "Elijah. They say you are Elijah."
James said, "Some of them aren't sure so they say you must be one of the prophets."

We all laughed. But He was serious. Very serious.

He asked us, "But what about you? Who do you say I am."

We went very quiet. We knew, somehow, this was important to Him. We thought. We looked at each other, all scared to say the wrong answer.

Minutes passed at the speed of a sheep eating grass.

Then I summoned what courage I had and said, "You are the Christ."

His grin was quick, and slight. I thought He was pleased, or at the least He didn't correct me.

He told us not to tell anyone about him.

But at the time, we didn't have to. The word was passing with each day. More miracles, healings, the occasional teaching.

We were headed for Jerusalem, slowly, surely. I wondered what awaited us there? I always wonder about the future.

No comments: