Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My rock, and my refuge

Psalms 91 (with a shout out to a reader/friend who suggested I read this verse) He who dwells in the shelter of the Most high will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler, and from the deadly pestilence.

David wrote this as a means of telling everyone that God will protect him. But he turns the whole thing on its nose when he says the little word you.

In other words, he will deliver US.

Me.

Look it up; read the rest of the Psalm.

He promises refuge in vs. 2-4
He promises protection from fear in vs. 5-10
He promises strength in vs. 7
He promises to give the help of angels in vs.11-12
He is my rock, my refuge, my fortress.

Me? Weak, little?

I'm in need of a rock, a refuge, a fortress.
I've never claimed to be perfect, because I'm far from it. I'm not righteous; I'm forgiven. I'm saved, not a savior. I am in deep need of forgiveness for a variety of things.

I could try to fix this on my own, but I truly feel I can't because history and studies say I can't. So I rely on my rock, my refuge, my fortress. And he loves me just as I am, not as others want me to be. Of that I'm certain. Anything else, I'm pretty much open for discussion by any and everyone.

My life has been, almost from the very first moment I was saved from certain death, about what others need to find the saving grace of God. And yet I believe there are many unchurched, unbelieving persons outside the church in America today. I want nothing more than to help them find Jesus, and I will do most anything to see that happen.

He is my rock. I want to give him away.

No comments: