Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The wheel is taken

I have a limited amount of time to produce this piece of work. I want it to be read. I want it to be saved. It will reach, oh I don't know, maybe 50 persons this morning. It won't change the world in all likelihood, but oh, I don't know, it might soothe the world depending on what I actually write -- which is still to be found.

I thought we might explore, in the next 15 minutes, the word and the deep meaning of, respect. I remember Aretha Franklin spelling it out for us about 40 years ago. R-E-S-P-E-C-T she wailed, she pleaded, she shouted, she desired.

I suspect that some 40 years later, she and everyone her age and most everyone continues to have a great, great desire to have some of that stuff, that respect.

Mildred Taylor says, "How you carry yourself, what you stand for -- that's how you gain respect."

Today it seems that wherever you go, whatever you do, part of that effort is to gain respect, to be respected.
  
So, in keeping with the time limit I face (an appointment made and directed by myself):

HOW TO BE
RESPECTFUL

 
Treat other people the way you want to be treated.
Be courteous and polite.
Listen to what other people have to say.
Don't insult people, or make fun of them, or call them names.
Don't bully or pick on others.
Don't judge people before you get to know them.

Seems to me, that about covers it in a way I probably couldn't. Let today be the day we all come together and get rid of the most terrible of sins. Hey, Carrie Underwood has updated that call for R-E-S-P-E-C-T by giving over the key to Jesus.

Seems respect is not necessarily earned. Instead, it is given by a God who loves us so much He simply takes over when we surrender. Jesus take the W-H-E-E-L.

No comments: