Thursday, September 12, 2013

Turning to trust

Yesterday I was almost pain free. It had been a long, long time since that happened. I was shocked, to say the least. Sure I had a back procedure, but I had had back procedures before and I never thought they would work this well. Today some pain has returned, but hey, things have never been this way since an drunk driver tried to us me and my car for brakes five years ago.

It made me think of David's long journey to trust. I've taken some of that trip myself.

"I look up to the mountains," David wrote.
Does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God,
who made heaven, and earth, and mountains.
He won’t let you stumble,
your Guardian God won’t fall asleep.
Not on your life! Israel’s
Guardian will never doze or sleep.
God’s your Guardian,
right at your side to protect you—
Shielding you from sunstroke,
sheltering you from moonstroke.
God guards you from every evil,
he guards your very life.
He guards you when you leave and when you return,
he guards you now, he guards you always."
 
The secret to trust lies in putting this truth into practice, by making it such a powerful theme in your life that you view every event, every sorrow, every prayer with the unshakable conviction that God is totally, spotlessly trustworthy.

That's where we mess up. We want to trust in anything rather than the Lord. We'll trust in our own abilities, in our boss's judgment of us, in our money, our doctor, even in an airline pilot. But the Lord? Well…

It's easy to trust in things we can see. Sure, we believe in God, but to allow him to run our life? That's asking a little too much, we think.
 
He guards you, now, always.
 

No comments: