Wednesday, November 10, 2010

From the brink

I cancelled a doctor's visit for today that was set six months ago. I cancelled it because:
A) I feel pretty good overall other than constant back ache that this doctor couldn't do anything about
B) I can't afford to go because I have, uh, inadequate health insurance.

I'm not particularly worried about B because of A and because I can't believe God would allow me to fall through the cracks of a weird situation such as, uh, inadequate health insurance.

I read this, as an explanation:
11-17 Train me, God, to walk straight;
then I'll follow your true path.
Put me together, one heart and mind;
then, undivided, I'll worship in joyful fear.
From the bottom of my heart I thank you, dear Lord;
I've never kept secret what you're up to.
You've always been great toward me—what love!
You snatched me from the brink of disaster!

David rote that as, my Bible tells me, a supplication for help against enemies. But it's also a bit of a servant's prayr for protection, protection from the big, ol' bad stuff that comes against us. The Psalm acknowledges that we can't seem to do this straight walk on our own, but with God's help, we are of one heart and mind.

I think that is without question true for most of us, certainly for me. As I age, the body withers, the mind doesn't recall what it once could, but it still, with God's help, can help someone find this God who sought me and found me and snatched me from the brink of disaster.

He wouldn't do that and leave me there. Insurance or no insurance.

No comments: